problem with stc.plot: why does the mouse have a variable offset on the brain image plot?

MNE version: 1.6.1

I am an MNE-newbie, attempting to plot dipole locations on a brain using my own EEG data and the code below:

fwd = mne.make_forward_solution( evoked.info, trans=None, src=src, bem=bem, verbose=True )
inv = mne.minimum_norm.make_inverse_operator(evoked.info, fwd, cov, verbose=True)
stc = mne.minimum_norm.apply_inverse(evoked, inv)
brain = stc.plot(subjects_dir=subjects_dir, initial_time=0.0, hemi='lh', views="medial")

This opens up a plot widget with an optional Controls panel on the left, and two plots; a larger brain image,
and a smaller trace area with amplitude over time.
(And a menu of icons in the upper left corner that is partially covered by a “Help” widget, that probably should be on the
right end of the menu.)

On the plot area, the software puts one blue dot (? to indicate the location of the dipole with the best ‘goodness-of-fit’ ?) and I can click with the mouse to insert more dipoles. The first click causes an orange dot to be placed on the brain image, and an orange trace appears in the trace window. The second a green dot + a green trace and so on.

My issue is that the dots do not appear where my mouse clicks. The dots are offset by a variable distance. For example: at a certain image size, on the left side of the plot, the dot may be offset 30mm below and 30 mm to the left of the mouse. As I click further to the right, the vertical offset remains the same, but horizontal offset increases up to 90 mm before I reach the right edge of my brain image, at the edge of my display.

From the shape of the trace, I believe the mouse-click location may be correctly interpreted by the software, as if I click right on
top of the existing dipole, the resulting new trace looks extremely close to the existing trace. But the displayed location of the new dot is off by several centimeters. Shouldn’t the dots/dipoles appear where I want to place them with my mouse click?

As far as I can see, I have no transformation in effect, eg. in the ‘make_forward_solution’ ‘trans’ is set to ‘None’.

Meanwhile, in the ‘traces’ window immediately below, the vertical line follows the mouse placement exactly, with no offset,
so this doesn’t seem to be a consistent error in my display.

Hello @edwaldt20 ans welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately I cannot help you with this issue, but I wanted to let you know that this is definitely not the expected behavior – something is wrong.
Could you kindly open a bug report on our GitHub issue tracker? You may just briefly describe the problem and link to this forum post.

Thanks,
Richard