Is negative down?

Just to verify, is negative down on eeg plots?

Thanks!

there is a convention in the literature to plot negative upwards. MNE does not do this by default. I think there’s a parameter for it in plot_compare_evokeds maybe? Other plot types you’d have to do it manually yourself using axes.set_ylim()

Thanks!
I just wanted to verify that it was the sane way and not the ‘plot it on a drum on sooty paper’ way.

I have to admit in the literature I’ve seen it’s usually old papers (from the 80s and such) where negative is up. It also depends on the specific field of research. I’d say, check the literature relevant to your research and look how it’s been plotted there in recent years.

Personally I’ve never plotted it this way and none of my colleagues does. It’s just the wrong way around. :upside_down_face:

Richard

3 Likes

For clinical epilepsy EEG review I think the convention is to use negative as up.

From https://www.epilepsy.com/diagnosis/eeg/how-read :
“In general, the electrode with the largest upward deflection represents the maximum negative activity in a referential montage.”

As mentioned in the thread - it does depend on the field. Still have no idea why it is done this way for clinical epilepsy review.

–Jeff

1 Like