Visually picking out bad channels

:question: If you have a question or issue with MNE-Python, please include the following info:

• MNE version: 3.10
  • operating system: macOS Ventura 13.0

Hi everybody,

I am learning to visually pick out bad channels in raw MEG data. I am following the tutorial here Handling bad channels β€” MNE 1.5.0 documentation.

I used raw.plot() to look at the raw MEG data. Here is what I have (screenshot attached). This looks completely different from the example data from the MNE website. I see large areas of blue in my data. Is this normal? I am new to this so would appreciate any help/advice on what I am looking at.

Thank you for your help!

If you hit the minus key a bunch of times, it will bring your sensors into range.

You may have already done this, but notch_filtering (raw.notch_filter([60,120,180])) the raw data and possibly t/SSS-ing your data (again you may have already done this) will clean up the signal a little bit.

–Jeff

3 Likes

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply.
I was under the impression that you pick out the bad channels first before running the maxwell_filter/tsss-ing raw data.

Which method is better?

(1) tsss raw MEG data β†’ manually pick out bad channels β†’ run tsss again on data with the bad channels omitted

(2) low pass filter (55Hz) β†’ manually pickout bad channels β†’ run tsss

Or do both methods accomplish the same thing?

I understand that it is important to pick out the bad channels early or else I will have to redo everything.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi @binary_bits ,

I forgot about the picking bad channels first before doing t/SSS - but you are correct, you should pick the bad channels first and then do the t/SSS process - or else it will corrupt your SSS-ed data. (I haven’t worked in an Elekta/MEGIN site in several years).

There is an automated bad_channel/flat_channel picker that uses the maxwell processing – mne.preprocessing.find_bad_channels_maxwell β€” MNE 1.6.0.dev29+gfe9358f16 documentation

And regarding choice 1 or 2 – I wouldn’t even filter your data - just look at the raw in the correct amplitude and you will see popping channels / jumps or very high freq noise.

Also - just an FYI I think that the plot command has a filtering option, so that you can just filter for visualization but not actually filter your data. Just look at the options in the raw.plot? . I think there you can also set a standard amplitude different from the default so that you dont need to reduce it after loading.

–Jeff

2 Likes

thank you so much!