Show only one group of channels (eeg) in raw.plot() while in the butterfly mode

• MNE version: 1.3.0
  • operating system: Windows-10-10.0.20348-SP0

Hi, Iā€™m trying to show only EEG channels in the butterfly mode, but neither shortcuts in the browser, nor passing the n_channels argument to the plot function donā€™t have the effect.
In the documentation Iā€™ve found that changing number of channels ā€œHas no effect if order is ā€˜positionā€™, ā€˜selectionā€™ or ā€˜butterflyā€™ā€.

Is there any workaround that can help me?
Does it make sense to open an issue for this in the GitHub repo?

Best,
Gennadiy

Hello @Genuster and welcome to the forum!

Showing only a single channel in butterfly mode doesnā€™t make much sense, as it wouldnā€™t be a ā€œbutterflyā€ plot anymore. If you want to view just a single channel, donā€™t request butterfly mode and pass n_channels=1.

Best wishes,
Richard

Thanks, @richard.

I worded the title badly, I guess. Iā€™ve edited it. I donā€™t want to show only a single channel, but a single group of channels, like only EEG channels, only MEG channels, etc.

Gennadiy

You are right, the shortcut fn + ā†“ (or PgDown) does not decrease the number of visible channels (or channel groups in this case) to zoom in to just one channel (group). Iā€™m not sure if this is intentional or a bug. It seems like this would be a useful feature, so Iā€™m guessing itā€™s a bug (in which case you could open an issue on our GitHub page).

You could do

raw.copy().pick_types('eeg').plot(butterfly=True)
2 Likes

Although this works, I think having keyboard shortcuts would still be very useful.

Should be a checkbox :ballot_box_with_check:

@richard, it works, thank you.
It creates, though, a heavy load on RAM. I work with large overnight datasets, so two raw objects with loaded data may exceed 64GB limit I currently have.

@cbrnr Iā€™ll open the issue then. I just guessed that there is a reason for not implementing the feature, as itā€™s explicitly mentioned in the documentation.

Thanks again,
Gennadiy

Maybe there is a reason why it doesnā€™t work, but if there is someone will let us know in the issue you create (please link it here so that people can find it).

Hereā€™s the issue.