combining SSP projectors and (t)SSS

Hello MNE community,

Iā€™m working with MEG data and I was wondering about the best way to combine projectors and tSSS. I know that projectors are applied when creating epochs from continuous data, but if I run tSSS before that, the projectors have already been removed (for which there is a reason Iā€™m guessing?). At what preprocessing step is it ideal to apply projectors? Would you recommend using the ā€˜extended_projā€™ argument of ā€˜mne.preprocessing.maxwell_filterā€™ for this purpose?

Thanks for the input!
Chantal

If the projectors in question are empty room projectors, then yes you can incorporate them into the tSSS computation as part of the (discarded) external basis. You do this by passing the list of empty-room projectors as the extended_proj argument of maxwell_filter().

If theyā€™re some other kind of SSP projector (heartbeat, blink), then SSP projectors computed before (t)SSS was run will be no longer valid after (t)SSS has been run. This is because SSP projectors are basically like per-channel weights used to combine (noisy) channels into (less noisy) virtual channels, and tSSS changes the signals in a way that doesnā€™t preserve the meaningfulness/accuracy of those weights.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and explanation! The projectors are indeed empty room projectors.