Why extra epochs are dropped even if they are not marked as 'bad'?

Hi everyone,

I wanted to create epochs for polysomnography data. First, I set annotations to mark each epoch(30 seconds) sleep stage and mark some bad epochs. After that, I generated the epochs. However, I found that mne set some epochs bad even if I didn’t mark it as a bad one. I expected that epochs.drop_log should be a tuple full of empty tuple because I have already set ‘reject_by_annotation=True’. The truth was that there were many (‘bad’,) tuples. Did mne automatically drop epochs?

Here is my code:

annot = mne.Annotations(onset=[0,30,60,120,150,180,...],
                                          duration=[30,30,30,30,30,30,...],
                                          description=['W','W','bad','N1','N1',...])
raw = mne.io.read_raw_edf(edf_file, preload=True)
stage_id = {'W':0, 'N1':1, 'N2':2, 'N3':3, 'R':4}
stages = list(set(annot['description']))
stages.remove('bad')
annot_2_event = {stage:stage_id[stage] for stage in stages}
events, _ = mne.events_from_annotations(
        raw, event_id=annot_2_event, chunk_duration=30
)
epochs = mne.Epochs(
    raw=raw,
    events=events,
    event_id=annot_2_event,
    reject_by_annotation=True,
    picks='eeg',
    tmin=0,
    tmax=30,
    baseline=(None,None),
    preload=True
)

Indeed, len(epochs) is equal to the len([x for x in annot[‘description’] if x!=‘bad’]).
Any advice would be appreciated!

Hello, any raw segments annotated as bad will lead to “dropped” epochs if reject_by_annotation=True (the default). Epochs spanning these annotations will never be created, but they’ll show up in the drop log for diagnostic purposes.

Best wishes,
Richard

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your reply! What makes me confused is that there are many (‘bad’,) tuples in epochs.drop_log. Are these epochs retained even if their tuples are (‘bad’,) in drop_log? What is diagnostic purposes for? In my original thought, len(epochs.drop_log) should be equal to len(annot[‘description’]), and number of (‘bad’,) tuples in epochs.drop_log equal to number of ‘bad’ in annot[‘description’]. Actually, len(epochs.drop_log) is equal to len([x for x in annot[‘description’] if x != ‘bad’]), which means the information whether a epoch should be dropped is lost. Is it possible to know which epochs are dropped when creating epochs by raw through epochs.drop_log?

Best regards,
Jack

The similar numbers might just be a coincidence
 I suggest using epochs.plot_drop_log() to get a better understanding of how many epochs were dropped and for what reason. Epochs dropped due to a “bad” annotation should show up there (and in the drop log itself).

FWIW since MNE-Python 1.7 you don’t need to convert annotations to events anymore to perform epoching; this might save
you a little bit of time and typing!

Best wishes,
Richard

A part of epochs.drop_log:

((), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (),
 (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (),
 (), (), (), ('bad',), (), ('bad',), (), (), (), (), ()
, (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), ()
, (), (), (), (), (), (), ('bad',), (), ('bad',), ()
, (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), (), ('bad',),...)

Actually, there is number of 1345(total time // 30 seconds) epochs in this sample. I thought there may not be a coincidence cause all my samples have the same situation that number of epochs is not equal to len(epochs.drop_log).

BTW, can I create epochs from annotations diectly?

Best regards,
Jack

Are you certain of this? Did you check the shape of the events array?

By not passing events and event_id to Epochs().

Best wishes,
Richard

print(epochs.events.shape)

The result is:

(1023, 3)

Not surprisingly, 1023 = 1145 - 122 and 1023 is not equal to 1345. Interestingly, I also created epochs by not setting ‘bad’ in annot[‘description’] and events.shape is (1345, 3).

Best regards,
Jack

Thanks Jack. I was asking about the shape of the events you get back from events_from_annotations. I assume this is already where stuff might get dropped. This function ignores “bad” annotations by default as per its regexp parameter.

print(events.shape)
(1023,3)

BTW, number of ‘bad’ in annot[‘description’] is equal to 322, which is also equal to 1345 - 1023.

Yes so this is your problem, then :slight_smile:

Thanks for your answers! I should check the document again.

1 Like

It’s honestly not entirely obvious at a first glance; I missed it myself at first. If you have any suggestions on how to improve the documentation, please do let us know.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.