Now I upgraded to mne_bids: 0.11.dev0, thereā€™s an error with the BIDSPath:

from mne_bids import BIDSPath, write_raw_bids

output_path = r'Z:\MEG_data\MNE-pilot-data-bids'
bids_path = BIDSPath(subject=subject, session=session,
                     task=task, run=run, root=output_path)

write_raw_bids(raw, bids_path, events_data=events_data, 
               event_id=events_id, overwrite=True)
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Users\ghafarit\AppData\Local\Temp\ipykernel_23084\1508003131.py", line 1, in <module>

File "<decorator-gen-611>", line 12, in write_raw_bids

File "C:\Users\ghafarit\Anaconda3\envs\mne\lib\site-packages\mne_bids\write.py", line 1504, in write_raw_bids
    raise RuntimeError('"bids_path" must be a BIDSPath object. Please '

RuntimeError: "bids_path" must be a BIDSPath object. Please instantiate using mne_bids.BIDSPath().

What do you suggest I do now?

No idea :person_shrugging: from what you shared itā€™s not clear what the error could be. Progress with one error message at a time ā€¦ anyhow, if this is a different issue, I suggest you investigate first and try to solve it. If you really hit a wall and cannot progress further or if you think you have identified a bug, please open a new report either here or on Issues Ā· mne-tools/mne-bids Ā· GitHub

1 Like

In order to convert the ctf data to bids format, I upgraded mne_bids and that was the only thing I changed, everything else was the same as before (there was no error regarding BIDSPath when I was using mne_bids:0.10). Basically the MWE is still the same as the one I shared with you before.

This error is the reason I canā€™t try the developerā€™s version of mne_bids to see if on windows I can convert CTF data to bids format. and I could not solve it unfortunately.

Thatā€™s why I asked if you have any ideas how to solve it and move forward in converting ctf data to bids.

Can you insert these lines directly above the call to write_raw_bids() please, and tell us the output it produces?

print(type(bids_path))
print(bids_path)

Thanks!

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.
below please find the output and error:

<class 'mne_bids.path.BIDSPath'>
Z:/MEG_data/MNE-pilot-data-bids/sub-02/ses-01/meg/sub-02_ses-01_task-SpAtt_run-01_meg.ds
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Users\ghafarit\AppData\Local\Temp\ipykernel_23084\1067814209.py", line 3, in <module>

File "<decorator-gen-611>", line 12, in write_raw_bids

File "C:\Users\ghafarit\Anaconda3\envs\mne\lib\site-packages\mne_bids\write.py", line 1504, in write_raw_bids
    raise RuntimeError('"bids_path" must be a BIDSPath object. Please '

RuntimeError: "bids_path" must be a BIDSPath object. Please instantiate using mne_bids.BIDSPath().

thanks,
Tara

@tghafari Thank you!

@sappelhoff The type of the BIDSPath object looks kinda weird, no? Why does it have an entire ā€œpath to the namespaceā€ (sorry, idk how to properly call this) prepended? Iā€™ve never seen anything like thisā€¦ this probably also explains why the check fails. I wonder if there are multiple MNE-BIDS installations interacting with each other in unforeseen ways?

@tghafari Could you please share the output of:

import mne_bids
print(mne_bids.__file__)

Thank you so much!

Could it also be some Windows specific stuff that we are not testing appropriately? :thinking:

I couldnā€™t reproduce this issue on Ubuntu 18.04

thanks for following this up @richard

hereā€™s the output:

import mne_bids
print(mne_bids.__file__)
C:\Users\ghafarit\Anaconda3\envs\mne\lib\site-packages\mne_bids\__init__.py
1 Like

@sappelhoff

In any case:

• we should raise a TypeError instead of a RuntimeError here
  • we should print what which type we actually received when we expected the BIDSPath
1 Like

Thank you, I will look into this.

Actually this is not correct; I get the same behavior on macOS:

In [9]: from mne_bids import BIDSPath

In [10]: BIDSPath
Out[10]: mne_bids.path.BIDSPath

So this is not it.

@tghafari I suspect something with your installation is broken ā€¦ Iā€™d suggest you wait for the MNE-BIDS 0.11 release and then do a fresh install of everything.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Richard

Thanks @richard,

I hope I donā€™t have to wait for long. I am making all my scripts BIDS compatible at the moment, I will continue to use mne-bids 0.10 for .fif data for now until the next version is released.

Just to be clear, by ā€œfresh install of everythingā€ you mean uninstalling and installing mne-bids, right?

Bests,
Tara