Standalone installer issues on Windows

Hello, thanks for checking!

What does that mean, exactly?

That means that after running the installer, I only had “empty links” in my start menu. There was a folder “MNE” in the start menu and if I recall correctly, it contained five links that had a name, but no icon, and nothing happened when I clicked on them. But it is possible that this had something to do with how Windows group policies are handled at my university (those have caused problems in the past when installing certain kinds of software).
Anyways, I decided to go with the install via conda/mamba and it seems to work fine so far, except for this issue with the coregistration. (Although I haven’t yet tested all functions that we want to use.)

Ouch. This really shouldn’t happen. Everything should only require user permissions. If you can install Miniconda/Anaconda as a user, you should be able to run the installer as well (and it should work as intended). There seems to be a bug somewhere.

I now downloaded again the Windows installer and ran it; this time (unlike last) I got the prompt and Spyder to start, but Spyder then told me that I need to install spyder-kernels=2.3. When I try to install that from the prompt, I get a message that this package is not available.

Looking at the old links which were still leftover from last week’s attempt, I noticed that they linked to ‘C:\ProgramData\mne-python\1.0.2_0\Menu\Spyder (MNE).bat’ although the installer was also for MNE 1.0.3.
This time, the correct address ‘C:\ProgramData\mne-python\1.0.3_0\Menu\Spyder (MNE).bat’ was linked.

This 
 is really odd. Are you absolutely sure you actually ran the installer for 1.0.3 last week?

The paths are super odd, too. It appears to me you didn’t accept the defaults offered by the installer? We only ever test with everything left at the defaults, and run as user (not administrator).

Something is entirely broken here. The installer should deploy everything you need. What does mamba repoquery search spyder-kernels say?

@fesieben FYI I’ve split off the installer-related posts and moved them to a new topic, so your original enquiry re coregistration doesn’t get lost in a pile of installer postings!

1 Like

Mamba says that spyder-kernels is available in versions up to 2.2.1.

Yes, the installer was for MNE 1.0.3. I had to use admin privileges because I can’t install as a normal user on that machine (because of group policies). As for the paths, I’m not entirely sure if I used the defaults, though I think it’s unlikely that I changed the name from 1.0.3 to 1.0.2. But yesterday, I just went with the defaults and the path was put correctly to the links.

This is (a big part of) the problem, I suppose. We only tested user installs.

I don’t understand the pet about group policies, are you not allowed to run an NSIS installer? Effectively, the installer is supposed to only ever touch folders inside the user‘s directory. :thinking:

Yeah, the policies at our university are a bit
 strict. If I try to run the installer as a user, it says “This app has been blocked by your system administrator”. As is the case with most installers.

What a weird policy considering that there are user installs too — and that, apparently, at the same time they grand you administrator permissions!

Could you try to figure out whether it’s due yo the fact that out windows installer isn’t signed? We will try to sign future versions but for now we don’t have the infrastructure to do so.

I agree, it’s weird and often inconvenient (as I prefer to work with the regular account for several reasons, but then need to use the admin account for installs).
And many official installers are also blocked, for example the Anaconda installer, NVidea drivers, cuda package - all of which have a signature.

I’m working in a Windows environemnt now, too, and I share your pain.

The way for me to go was similar to what you described: ask IT to install Anaconda, and create a new virtual environment following the MNE installation instructions.