mne_setup_source_space

MNE-ers,

I was wondering if you could clarify what's the cause of the following behavior. I have a triangular mesh surface (.surf) that was created using mne_convert_surfaces from a .tri file. Now, I'd like to only use some of the points on the surface (i.e. decimate it), so I'm using mne_setup_source_space for that. I get a reduction in the number of sources up to spacing = 3 (from 40962 sources to 2562), but anything higher than that gives me the same number of sources. If I plot the "poka-dot" surface, I can see that there is still plenty of room for further decimation.

Is there anything in the decimation algorithm that prevents further decimation after a certain ratio? Or should I be checking my surface for some specific malformations?

Note that this is not a MEG problem, so I'm using the terminology of sources mostly to make it easier. The actual issue is simply decimating a surface. I'm just using the MNE tools because I'm familiar with them and this way I don't have to re-code these procedures :slight_smile: I thought about implementing my own decimation, but if you know of standard algorithms to decimate a surface, preferably already implemented in Python, I'd appreciate it if you could point me to it.

Best,

Gus

hi Gus,

can you give the lines you typed and be more specific about ico or oct
parameters you used.

A

Alex,

Sure thing. I don't have the sphere-inflated versions of these surfaces, so I've been using the spacing option. For example:

mne_setup_source_space --subject mni --surface cortex --overwrite --spacing 3

is the most decimation I can get:

[?]
loaded lh.cortex 2562/40962 selected to source space (approx. spacing = 3 mm)
[?]

Any other spacing bigger than that gives me the same numbers. For example:

[?]
loaded lh.cortex 2562/40962 selected to source space (approx. spacing = 20 mm)
[?]

If I try a different surface, I can get to a smaller (extreme) number of sources, which made me wonder if there was anything specific in the decimation algorithm about the ratio of decimated / original vertices:

mne_setup_source_space --subject mni --surface thalamus --overwrite --spacing 3
[?]
loaded lh.thalamus 352/3016 selected to source space (approx. spacing = 3 mm)
[?]

but

[?]
loaded lh.thalamus 9/3016 selected to source space (approx. spacing = 20 mm)
[?]

and I can go all the way down to 3 sources? not that I'd do that.

Let me know if you need more details.

Best,

Gus

Honestly I have no clue. Certainly matti can answer but if he's busy I can send
you the C-code to have a look.

A