Localization EEG electrodes with 3D Scanner

Hi everyone,

I have acquired the position of my EEG electrodes using a structure 3D sensor.

However, I do not know how to be able to pass this data in a way that I can have the locations of the electrodes to work using MNE. Something like what is done in Fieldtrip: Localizing electrodes using a 3D-scanner - FieldTrip toolbox.

Do you know if there is a way to do this in MNE?

Thanks,

You can use mne.channels.read_custom_montage() if your locations are available in one of the supported file formats, or mne.channels.make_dig_montage() otherwise.

1 Like

I have a .obj data. And it is the 3D scan of the head. But the position of the electrodes is not yet saved here. In fieldtrip some steps are done to be able to transform this figure into 3D positions of the electrodes and then other steps to transform them to 2D.

mne.read_surface() can read .obj files. You might be able to get the iEEG localization GUI to work as a way to mark the electrode locations on the surface? Here are a couple pointers to tutorials:

Can you start there and see how far you’re able to get, then report back here when you get stuck?

cc @wmvanvliet and @alexrockhill who have more experience with these things

Thank you. I will start working with the codes you just mention and see if I can use them to get the positions of the electrodes.

I was not able to use the functions you mentioned. So what I did was to obtain the EEG positions using Fieldtrip. However, I know want to use the positions in MNE in my EEG structure. How can I do this?
Is there a function to add/change positions of the EEG electrodes?

As @cbrnr posted above, there is the mne.channels.read_custom_montage — MNE 1.5.1 documentation function for loading in electrode locations from external sources (like Fieldtrip).

Once you’ve loaded the montage, call raw.set_montage() to apply it to your data.