How to plot() raw EEG data topomap and 3d when plot() got an unexpected keyword argument 'kind'

Just in case, if someone have the same doubt I had:
I wanted to plot topomap of my raw data (not ten_twenty_montage simulation)

In " Working with sensor locations"
https://mne.tools/stable/auto_tutorials/intro/40_sensor_locations.html#sphx-glr-auto-tutorials-intro-40-sensor-locations-py

Tutorial says how to set montage but not how to plot it with raw:

these will be equivalent:

raw_1020 = raw.copy().set_montage(ten_twenty_montage)
raw_1020 = raw.copy().set_montage('standard_1020')...

But it does not explain how to plot raw data (just how to plot ten_twenty_montage)

the problem is that :
to plot “ten_twenty_montage” we do —> ten_twenty_montage.plot()

on the other hand

to plot “raw data” we do —> raw_1020.plot_sensors(show_names=True)
raw_1020.plot_sensors('3d', show_names=True)

plot_sensors() is the answer

It was difficult to find out.
I posted just in case someone needs this information

Initially I thought it was a matplotlib problem and it took me days to resolution.

best
Kanda

Thanks for sharing this here @PauloKanda, I’m sure it will be helpful for others. I agree that the method raw.plot_sensors() is inconsistent with our use of montage elsewhere, so it should probably have been called raw.plot_montage().

My pleasure to help. Think plot_sensor() or plot_montage() are a question of author’s ‘taste’, both are ok to me. The problem is to remember to show the information in tutorials. Explicity is better than implicity, is not it? Best Kanda.

Hi @PauloKanda,
good point, we could add a section to the tutorial detailing that you can use .plot_sensors() once the montage is applied (this could also explain that montages, when applied, are transformed to head coordinate frame, so the exact x, y, z channel positions can be different wrt the original montage).

Yes Mr. Magnuski, agreed,

Also, It would be great if in each tutorial we could add footpage notes.

Best

PKanda