BEM or FEM models of brain for modeling which include eye sources

Hello, thanks again for MNE, it is a fantastically well-done project.

We have been exploring using MNE for source modeling as part of work in developing new inverse methods.
We are still in the learning stage and we are looking to see if there are any current models of brain/skull/scalp which also include sources such as the eyes/retinas. I’ve started a search of the literature and have found a paper by Kierkels [1] which describes one such model.

I realize that most MNE users would remove the eye signals with PCA before analysis, so I was not sure if people have made such models.

Thanks in advance
-Chris

References:
[1] Kierkels, J.J.M., vanBoxtel, G.J.M., and Vogten, L.L.M. (2006). A Model-Based Objective Evaluation of Eye Movement Correction in EEG Recordings. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 53 , 246–253.

you could compute forward models for dipoles you put in the eyes but BEM model will not be very accurate there and you would need a deep understanding for the mne forward object internal structure to take this into account.

It’s doable but not so easy

Alex

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I will need to get more in depth knowledge to try this.